This is the collection of records of birth, marriage, and death, usually in the form of register books kept by religious and municipal officials. The collection is arranged alphabetically by the name of the locality, and then, if applicable, subdivided by religious denomination. In the case of larger municipalities, relevant records may have been kept by both the local the Jewish community and the municipality.
This collection contains a wide variety of papers created by the Town Hall of Radăuți during the Austro-Hungarian period until the early community period. The material covers all areas of town administration from elections to property administration to overseeing of professional organizations and so forth. Material specifically related to the Jewish population includes information on cultural and professional organizations (many Jewish), files related to the deportation of Jews (euphemistically called "evacuation") and handling of the remaining property, bids for market stalls (many of which were made by Jews), various files on impoverished survivors of Transnistria requesting welfare or proof of citizenship. For details on these files, please click on any link below.
This collection contains various civic records, including correspondence, ordinances, city council meeting minutes, and other documents. Many or even most of the documents may relate in some way to the Jewish population due to the relatively high proportion of Jewish involvement in the city government, both as council members and as representatives of commercial and trade groups. Examples of contents includes material related to town council elections, lists with addresses and names of merchants and shopkeepers, files dealing with expropriated or seized Jewish property (access may be restricted), files concerning Jewish schools or public health measures or ordinances applicable to religious facilities. For details on such items, please click on any link below.
This collection contains documents typical of a municipal authority though please note that there are few documents from the Austro-Hungarian period. Of interest to those researching the Jewish history of the region are primarily files from the World War II period which deal with anti-Semitic measures taken including the evacuation of Jews from villages to the cities, the expropriation of Jewish goods, forced labor measures, and so forth. For details on these files and others specifically related to the Jewish population, please see below and click on any link.
Please note that this collection comprises three inventories: "Primaria Orasului Reghin" (1829-1950) with 704 items; Sfatul Popular al Orasului Reghin (1951-1955) with 111 items; and Consiliul Popular al Orasului Reghin (1950-1968) with 634 items. These titles reflect the changes of governmental organisation within the country. The present survey focused primarily on the contents of the first inventory. The material within the second two inventories deals largely with the restructuring under communism and rarely do the contents move beyond bureaucratic and administrative announcements and records. The first inventory however contains numerous files with information relevant to Jewish history. The collection contains material customary for a municipal authority including administrative and financial files, documents regarding permits and professions, and regulating schools, religious institutes, and so forth. Specific to the Jewish population, there are files with material on synagogues, Jewish organizations, Jewish professionals and apprentices, and numerous files regarding Jewish citizenship or property of Jews who were deported or emigrated. For details on these files and others with material related specifically to the Jewish population of Reghin, please see below and click on any title.
This collection contains a variety of administrative records and correspondence regarding staffing, budget, and other general business, as well as a number of materials regarding the policing of the community. The latter category includes a variety of registers of infractions and of individuals arrested or wanted for arrest, some of whom, owing to the substantial regional Jewish population, were Jewish. Elsewhere, there are various papers and correspondence regarding permits and licenses for various activities and events, especially for automobile permits and licenses. There are also some files on military conscripts and citizenship. For details on a select number of items individually surveyed within this collection, please click on any link below.
This collection contains the papers of the office of the school inspector of Suceava county. The material includes a variety of documents and correspondence regarding the development of curriculum, administration of district schools, and evaluation of teachers and individual schools. A significant amount of correspondence with regional and national authorities is also present. The collection offers some insight into the numbers of Jewish teachers and students in the district and records, unintentionally, various anti-Semitic activities taking place during World War II (seizure of Jewish property by school administrations , etc). For details on a select number of items surveyed containing material specifically related to the Jewish population, please click on any link below.
This collection contains administrative correspondence and records regarding the management and maintenance of the school and the development of the curriculum and the staff. Some of the documents, such as item nr. 2/1904, indicate the presence of Jewish teaching staff in the district, and elsewhere there is evidence of a marked Jewish presence in the student body, as in item nr. 15/1925. For details on these records, please see the links below.
This register contains deaths for the Status Quo Jewish community in Târgu Mureș. Please note that until 2015, the book was miscatalogued as belonging to the Neologue community. The book is primarily recorded in Hungarian, though the names of the deceased are recorded in Hebrew and with the names of the individual's parents (in Hebrew). Information recorded is name, birth place, age, circumstances of death, date of death (including Hebrew date), place of burial, and surviving relatives.
This register contains marriages for the Status Quo Jewish community in Târgu Mureș and, partway through, a handful from villages in the surrounding countryside (1886-1889). Please note that until 2015, the book was miscatalogued as belonging to the Neologue community. The book is primarily recorded in Hungarian, though frequently the Hebrew names are also provided. Please also note that some marriages were recorded after the event, so that the first marriages recorded in fact date to 1869, not 1886 when the book was first opened. Information recorded is name and birth date and place for the bride and groom, parental information, place and date of the wedding and information regarding the witnesses and officiant. Many of the individuals in this book had their names Magyarized and this is also recorded in the "comments" column. The last entry in the book prior to the deportations is for April 1944. There is one wedding recorded after World War II, in 1947 Please note the book is catalogued as including dates only until 1946.
This register contains births for the Status Quo Jewish community in Târgu Mureș and, partway through, births from villages in the surrounding countryside (1886-1889). Please note that until 2015, the book was miscatalogued as belonging to the Neologue community. The book is primarily recorded in Hungarian, though frequently the Hebrew names of the infant and its parents are also provided (sometimes the parents of the parents are also provided, ie. Josef son of Zvi). Please also note that some births were recorded after the event, so that the first births recorded in fact date to 1870, not 1886 when the book was first opened. Information recorded is name, birth date, parental information including occupation and birthplace, name of the midwife and officiant who performed the circumcision or naming ceremony. Many of the individuals in this book had their names Magyarized and this is also recorded in the "comments" column. The last entry in the book is for February 1944, a few months before the deportations to Auschwitz took place.
This register from the Unitarian church of the village of Bezidul Nou is included in the catalogue due to its connection to the Szekely Sabbatarian population of the village. The Sabbatarians began as a Judaizing movement in the 16th and 17th century. Following persecution by authorities, most adherents returned to one of the approved Christian religions. A handful, however, of the Sabbatarians continued to practice in secret over the centuries until Jewish emancipation in 1867, after which they converted in mass to Judaism. The Sabbatarian community was centered in the village of Bezidul Nou. For this reason, the register books of the Reform, Catholic, and Unitarian churches in Bezidul Nou may prove of interest to researchers. This Unitarian book in particular has been verified as containing references to Sabbatarians, especially during World War II. In spring and summer of 1944, there is a page of "baptisms" of older individuals, born in the 1860s-1880s. It is noted that they were "Mosaic Sabbatarians" or "Israelites." It is not clear who assisted these individuals to convert, the time of conversion is simultaneous with the period of ghettoization and deportation. In addition, in the death register there are multiple individuals regarding whom it is noted that they converted from Judaism (only in the 1940s).
This record book is in a fragile state, many pages have severely frayed edges. The book records the customary information for births including name, date, parental information (names, occupation, birthplace), circumcision or naming ceremony officiant and date, and (sometimes) notes regarding the individual's death or other comments. Of note is the large time span the book covers, from 1858-1922 (the dates prior to the 1886 were entered after the fact). There are many gaps in this period, especially from 1903-1922. Please note that today the villages of Teaca and Urmeniș are not in the county of Mureș, but rather in Bistrița-Nasăud. The entries in this book are for familes living in villages throughout the region around Teaca and Urmeniș.
This collection comprises civil registers recording birth, marriage, and death records. Originally the registers were kept by each respective parish, church, synagogue, etc. In the 1950s they were collected by the National Archives and made into this overarching collection. The collection is organized by locality and then religion. In addition to birth, marriage, and death records, some of the Christian registers record conversions, baptisms, confirmations, pastor or priest names, and other notes on the development of the community. The Romanian preface to the collection notes that in 1784 the Jewish communities were made to record their civil records under the supervision of the Catholic priests. It is unclear whether this may indicate that 18th century Jewish records might be found within Catholic record books. In any case, there are no extant Jewish registers prior to 1815. Of interest in this civil record collection in the county of Mureș are the numerous registers from rural areas, especially from the area around the small town of Sângeorgiu de Pădure, also the region of the socalled Szekely Sabbatarians. All Jewish registers held at the Mureș archives are described in detail below.
This collection has four inventories. The first inventory, nr. 171, lists 279 items which for the most part are of an administrative nature or class newspapers. There are also a few class registers and various other registers which mostly refer to staff affairs. A student register book from the 1930s shows many Jews attending the school, alongside Romanian and Hungarians. Of particular interest amongst the items in this inventory are those administrative documents from the interwar period and especially following World War I in which nation-building and Romanianization measures are discussed. The second inventory, nr. 996, lists 155 items. The majority are class immatriculation registers and grade books, though there is also meeting minutes and budgetary and administrative paperwork. This inventory contains papers dating 1919-1948. The third inventory, nr. 1359, contains 26 items, dating 1920-1940. Of particular interest here are the annual school reports, which exist from 1920-1935, and which contain breakdowns of the student body by ethnicity and religion. In 1927, for example, Jews made up 25% of the student body. The other items in this inventory are administrative in nature. Finally, inventory nr. 1442, contains 16 items, dating from 1914-1941. The items in this inventory belonged to the former director of the school, Valeriu Boeriu. They consist primarily of personal momentos, photographs, manuscripts, and other items related to Boeriu's period as director (1914-1941).
This school, though small and in an unassuming locality, had a significant Jewish student population. Records survive only from 1918-1926 but these include class registers in which are recorded the pupils' birthdate and place, parent occupation, nationality, and religion.
This school had some Jewish students, though proportionately the reform school had more. According to the preface in the National Archives inventory for this collection, this school was opened in 1836. It remained small (with 1-2 teachers) until the second half of the 19th century when it was able to construct its own building. By this time it had classes for both boys and girls. The majority of the material is in Hungarian; beginning in the post-Trianon period some of the material is also in Romanian. Most of the items are class register books with data on the pupils' backgrounds, grades, absences, and so forth and most registers date from the 20th century, though there are 15-20 items from the 19th century. Student register books will contain birth date and place of the pupil and information on the parents' occupations, mother tongue, nationality, and religion. The school was closed in 1948 in the wake of the restructuring of the Romanian school system under communism.
This school appears to have been attended primarily by Hungarians and Jews. The Jewish proportion of the students may have reached up to 20-25% at certain periods. The school was opened in 1860 but did not become well-established, with funds necessary to construct its own building and employ sufficient teaching staff until the end of the 19th century. There are a total of 78 items in the collection, all but two of them are from the 20th century. The oldest item dates to 1893 and is a registration book. Beginning in 1909 the records are, for the most part, comprehensive and without gaps and include class registers, grade books, and curriculum registers. Sometime after 1900 the girls were taught separately from the boys. The vast majority of the material is in Hungarian, though some of the registers in the post-Trianon period are titled in Hungarian and Romanian. Record books generally include information on the pupil's birth date and place, parents, their occupations, mother tongue, residence, nationality, and religion.
This collection has only one item, a folder of correspondence and miscellaneous written material, for the most part from or to the school director. There are several hundreds pages and included is a chart of the ethnic and religious breakdown of the students in 1892. According to the chart, approximately 10% of the student body was Jewish, though overwhelmingly female.
This collection contains comprehensive material from the main Catholic school in Târgu Mureș. In general, it appears that Jewish students were more likely to attend the Protestant schools, but one finds Jewish pupils in these records occasionally. The collection begins with papers from the mid-late 18th century, primarily dealing with administrative matters, ie contracts, rental agreements, decrees, lists of students. Beginning in the 19th century, there are fairly consistent immatriculation registers as well as folders containing correspondence on school affairs. Inventories of furnishings and libraries begin to appear consistently. By the 1870s, there are approximately 10 folders per year, containing meeting minutes of the school staff, statistical information, correspondence, immatriculation records, staff instructions, budget documents, and other miscellaneous papers. At the end of the inventory there are several items not related to this school, they contain diploma certificates from a school in Miercurea Ciuc, Târgu Secuiesc, and from the Școala Normală in Târgu Mureș (School of Education). These items date from 1929-1940.
This collection contains registration books and grade books for the Jewish elementary school of Târgu Mureș. There are 68 items within the collection, most of which are class register books. The register books contain the names of pupils, their birth information, parental names and occupations, and place of residence. Some of the books include grades received. All the material is in Hungarian, with the exception of the books from the interwar period. The school was closed following the deportations to Auschwitz in spring/summer of 1944 but reopened in September 1945. Of particular interest may be item number 66, the register of meetings (registru de procese verbale ale ședințelor corpului didactic) held by school staff from 1945-1948. In addition to this school, which was operated by the community, a smaller, apparently private Jewish school functioned in the late 19th century-World War I (at least) led by Jakab Wiener (later Várnai) and then Nathan Beregi. Please see the corresponding collections for schools under these names.
The Collection of Cadastral Records includes seven different inventories. The collection is vast and access to documents is frequently denied on the grounds that the contents contain property information. Nevertheless, there are folders pertaining to a number of villages and towns with significant Jewish populations and, in certain cases, data can be gathered from the documents as to the location of the synagogue or other Jewish spaces. In general the documents include such items as lists of house-owners or property owners, as well as agricultural surveys of the land. There are folders for the following villages and towns which had demonstrable Jewish populations: Acățari, Adămuș, Nazna, Agrișteu, Cetatea de Baltă, Mediaș, Dumbrăveni, Ernei, Miercurea Nirajului, Ormeniș, Reghin, Sighișoara, Sâncraiul de Mureș, Sovata, Teaca, Târgu Mureș, Toplița, Ungheni, Valea (Iobageni), Luduș. Please note that the collection contains folders for many villages and towns outside of the current Mureș county borders, in particular there are countless folders for Saxon villages to the south, today in the county of Sibiu or even Brașov. Please note that inventory 691 was missing in 2015.
This collection consists of court dossiers pertaining to various civil cases, the vast majority involving inheritance, and a considerable amount relating to property cases, contracts, and the issuing or release of records and certificates. The property cases cover the broadest range of topics, ranging from cases concerning recognition or establishment of ownership, eviction, destruction or damage to the property, and the sale or surrender of property from one party to another. The contract cases typically involve the cancellation of or release from a contract, or various claims about breaches of contractual obligations. Owing to the considerable size of the Jewish population in the Câmpulung district, a substantial number of these cases involve Jewish individuals and companies or banks with Jewish owners. A number of the cases from the 1940s appear to relate to the seizing or redistribution of Jewish property around the time of the deportations. For example, in 1940 there is a notable spike in cases involving the striking of claims or of debts relating to properties, and in 1942 there are correspondence and documents relating to the redrawing of property books. 1943 features several property and financial cases involving the Centrul Național de Românizare București (National Center for Romanianization). Beginning in 1944 and 1945 there are a number of cases involving Jewish individuals seeking “recognition of ownership” of property. As the majority of these cases concern property, access is generally restricted. Special permission is required to view the majority of these cases.
This collection consists of various papers for a girls trade school, many having to do with accounting and inventories of supplies. Some matriculation and administrative records and correspondence are also present. Several of the students were Jewish.
Attendance and class lists, as well as matriculation records. Some financial records and administrative correspondence are also present. Dosar 1/1884 provides a good example of the types of information available in this collection: a register containing students' grades, attendance, and notes on their conduct. Many of the students listed here are Jewish – their name, religion, date and place of birth, as well as the name and profession of the student's father are listed with each entry.
The collection consists primarily of matriculation records, registers of classes, statistics on grades and exams, and other documents and papers pertaining to students and instruction. Some administrative records and correspondence are also present. A significant percentage of the student population was Jewish.
The school was founded as the Griechisch-orthodox kaiserlich-königliches Gymnasium by order of the Ministry of Education in Vienna in 1860. The language of instruction was German until 1882, at which point a Romanian section was established in parallel to the German-language sections. In 1919, the school was renamed Liceul de băeți “Ștefan cel Mare” ("Ștefan cel Mare Boys Lycee"). Throughout its history, the school maintained a reputation as one of the best in Bukovina and attracted students from the entire Bukovina region and beyond. The collection contains matriculation registers, administrative correspondence, administrative and faculty meeting minutes, and various papers pertaining to budget and finances. Matriculation registers from the period of the Habsburg regime are arranged by class, and then alphabetically by student's surname within each class. As can be seen from the entries for the students, the student population was quite mixed and included Germans, Jews, Romanians, Ruthenians, Armenians, and many of the other nationalities present in the Bukovina region at the time. For some classes there are multiple sections, including in some cases special “German” or “Romanian” sections. Each page contains an entry for a single student, and lists the students coursework and grades, as well as comments on the student's conduct and other observations. The entry also lists the student's religion, residence, nationality, and native language, as well as the name, residence, and profession of the student's father (sometimes of the mother as well), and if applicable the name of any guardians or of the address where the student resides and boards while attending the school. At the start of each class's entries are general statistics on the class's performance for that year, as well as a list of instructors, including instructors for religion sections (Roman Catholic, Orthodox, and Jewish).
This collection contains only matriculation registers. Each page contains an entry for a student containing their grades for the school year, as well as basic vital information (date of birth, name, residence, and profession of parent(s). If applicable, additional observations are given, as well as the names of any schools the student previously attended.
This collection contains matriculation registers, registers of students' grades, attendence, and graduation, school bulletins, general correspondence about the school, reports on school inspections, and registers of incoming and outgoing correspondence and of other communiques.
This collection contains matriculation registers, registers of students' grades, attendence, and graduation, school bulletins, general correspondence about the school, reports on school inspections, and registers of incoming and outgoing correspondence and of other communiques.
The Medias Jewish Community Collection contains material spanning the life of the community, with documents dating from the late 19th century until the end of the communist era as well as general administrative paperwork into the 1990s (when the community, for all intents and purposes, no longer existed). The bulk of the material is from the mid-20th century (1940s-1970s) and of administrative or financial nature. Several extensive items of particular historic significance have been digitized and are available below in Series III: the 500-page book of meeting minutes covering board member and community meetings from 1930-1947 (Box OS21); hundreds of registration forms created by the Jewish Council (Centrala Evreilor) during the war which recorded an individual's family background up to the grandparents (names, birthplaces and date) (Box OS18 and OS19); the burial registry with details on tombstone location, date (and sometimes cause) of death and accompanying index of names (OS13); and the cemetery map (last item in Series III). The original statutes of the community, in Hungarian from 1894, as well as later German and Romanian versions, are also digitized and can be found in Series V (SD2/folder 2). The material in this collection may be of interest to those researching Jewish life, identity, and culture in southern Transylvania before and during World War II and Jewish life under the Romanian communist government. For additional details on the contents of each series, please see the comprehensive container list below. The collection is arranged by series and chronologically within each series.
This is a small collection, mostly containing various orders, reports, and other business and administrative papers regarding the daily activities of the post. Several of the items specifically refer to measures regarding the Saxons living near the post, their involvement with German forces, and their deportation to work camps. A folder of correspondence (numar curent 1947-1) mentions Jews, but only to note that there appear to be no Jews in the area. The remaining documents in this folder consist of correspondence, primarily orders and circular bulletins sent to the Pauca gendarmerie post, concerning various tasks and activities to be undertaken. Often these have to do with agricultural matters, and there are also a number of notices about wanted individuals, escapees from detention, and measures regarding the ethnic German and Magyar populations. What is, however, of note is that much of this correspondence is written on recycled paper – for the most part, the versos of the orders are Hungarian-language documents dating to the late Austro-Hungarian monarchy, especially to the first World War.
This is a rather small collection, more or less cataloged at an item level, consisting primarily of enrollment requests in the form of handwritten letters for business training schools and courses throughout the Sibiu district. It appears that there were several small schools and evening course offerings, even in some smaller localities and villages. There are also some administrative papers, such as lists of students and reports. At least one enrollment request, item 141 of 1910, testifies to the enrollment of a Jewish student in these schools and coursework. This item is a request by the factory owner Heim Schublach of Sibiu for the enrollment of his daughter Hermine Schublach, as well as for the enrollment of Ilona Kimpel of Turda, in a course. It does not specify which factory Schublach owned.
This register contains handwritten entries, mostly in German (after 1921 in Romanian), with titles printed in German. Name, age, profession, and address of the deceased are listed, along with date, cause, and location of death, and date and location of burial. In most cases names of the deceased parents and their town of residence are also listed.
This register contains handwritten entries (for the most part in German until 1922, thereafter in Romanian) with titles printed in German. Name, age, profession, and address of the bride and groom are given, along with the name and address of their parents and names of witnesses and the officiating rabbi. Amendments notes, and corrections are accompanying several entries.
This register contains handwritten German (beginning in 1922 in Romanian) entries with titles printed in German as well. It lists names of child and parents, including in many cases mother's maiden name and name, residence, and profession of her parents, father's profession, address of residence, date of birth, and date of circumcision. Name, profession, and place of residence are also given for witnesses, mohel, and midwife. Amendments and comments, later ones occasionally in Romanian, are listed in the final column. The book is notably tailored for use in the Jewish community, including the aforementioned columns for date of circumcision and name of sandek and mohel.
This register contains handwritten entries in a printed book (post 1918 in a mix of German and Romanian). Name, age, address and profession of deceased, and in some cases vital information on the deceased's parents are listed, along with date, cause, and location of death, and date and location of burial.
This register contains handwritten German entries in a printed book. Name, age, occupation, and residence of the bride and groom are listed, as well as the names, occupations, and residences of their parents. Also provided are the date and location of the wedding, as well as the name of the officiating rabbi and witnesses. Comments and amendments follow the basic entry, and handwritten amendments, corrections, and in some cases documents, in Romanian from later decades (post 1930) are inserted. Entries are in approximate chronological order.
This is a collection of records of birth, marriage, and death, usually in the form of register books kept by religious officials. The collection is arranged alphabetically by the name of the locality, and then if applicable subdivided into subparts by religious denomination. Depending on the time period and on the size of the congregation, birth, marriage, and death registers may consist of separate volumes or be contained in a single volume. Please note that this collection consists of register books for localities within the boundaries of Suceava county, established after the second World War. Suceava County (Județ) includes all of Southern Bukovina (i.e. the part of Austrian Bukovina now within Romania's boundaries), as well as some additional territories which were never part of the Austrian province of Bukovina. For details on the Jewish community record books contained within this collection, please see the links below.
This death register lists name, profession, age or birthdate, and birthplaces of deceased, as well as date and place of death, and date and place of burial. A handful of papers, including additional death certificates and requests for certificates, corrections and amendments, are interleaved, including one item from 1940. Although most of the register entries are in German, some of the later entries are in Hungarian, and there are a couple of Romanian items interleaved. An unusually high percentage of the deaths in 1881-1882 are recorded at the Sibiu insane asylum (Irrenanstalt).
This marriage register lists the name, birthdate, profession, and residence of the bride and groom, along with the names, professions, and residences of their father. Date and location of wedding is also provided, along with the names of witnesses and of the officiating rabbi. A couple of requests dating to the 1930s and 1940s for the issue of marriage certificate are interleaved. Some of the weddings registered took place in nearby villages or towns, such as Alțâna and Sebeș.
This birth register is arranged in approximate chronological order. Each entry lists the name of the child, date of birth, name of parents (usually with the maiden name of the mother), address of parents, date of circumcision or naming, name of mohel and of witnesses or godparents. Occasionally a Hebrew name is also listed for the child. Many pages, especially the first several from 1886-1887, are in poor condition and are in many cases missing sections. The register is fairly continuous until about 1902, and thereafter there are scattered entries until 1924. Between the back page and the cover are inserted two death certificates from 1938 with accompanying requests to annotate the birth register. Although the majority of entries are for births in Sibiu, a considerable number of births in Sebeș is also recorded, as well as some births in smaller localities near Sibiu.
This birth register is arranged in approximate chronological order. Each entry lists the name of the child, date of birth, name of parents (usually with the maiden name of the mother), address of parents, date of circumcision or naming, name of mohel and of witnesses or godparents. Occasionally a Hebrew name is also listed for the child. Although the majority of entries are for Sibiu, births are also in isolated cases recorded for other localities, such as: Alțâna, Sebeș, Nocrich, Mediaș, Cisnădie, Chirpăr. Several additional items are inserted into the register, including requests for amendments to the register. Notably, a substantial number of notifications about the conversions of individuals from Judaism to various Christian denominations during the late 1930s are also interleaved. It is also notable that most of the individuals listed on these conversion notifications were born in the early 20th century, therefore after the period during which this birth register was kept. Along with these conversion notifications is also interleaved a handwritten register of births since 1895, which provides the name of the child and the name of the parents in Hebrew, occasionally with additional information in Hebrew. Although this specific register is undated, handwritten date annotations seem to indicate it was created sometime after 1929.
This collection contains birth, death, and marriage records for approximately 142 locations throughout the pre-World War II boundaries of Sibiu county. For details as to the records for Jewish communities, click on any title in the list below.
This file contains a variety of correspondence and contracts relating to property held by the municipality and leased to various small merchants or artisans. Reflecting the diversity of the town population at this period, the lessees include Germans, Jews, and Romanians. There are also some shop inventories from merchants who apparently fled to Câmpulung during World War I from other parts of Bukovina (referred to as refugees).
This register book contains a list of individuals who butchered animals from 1918-1931. The book includes the name of the butcher, kind of animal, and other comments (sometimes). The Jewish individuals, who repeat monthly, were presumably ritual butchers.
This register book contains the meeting minutes for the Straja town council from 1909-1919. It begins in German and switches to Romanian around 1911. The council sessions address various matters including building of schools and granting of permits to merchants. There is at least one Jewish member of the town council and other matters pertaining to Jewish merchants and residents are mentioned. The assassinations of Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife in Sarajevo is also mentioned. There are also records of meeting minutes from the 1930s, see inventory for the ”Primăria comunei Straja” at the Suceava archives for these exact call numbers.
This large collection contains documents maintained by the Câmpulung Moldovenesc town hall from the late 19th century until into the 1950s. In light of the fact that the Jewish population made up a significant portion of the town, a large part of the material refers to or deals with the Jewish inhabitants in some way, though not always explicitly. Contents include folders for building or event permits, documents related to the artisans of the city, material related to property expropriated during World War II, lists of those eligible to vote, and many, many more. For details on these and other individual items containing documents of interest to those researching Jewish history in the region, please see the JBAT entry for this collection, subfield "contains" and click on any title (over 15 individual folder descriptions).
This collection contains documents maintained by the Solca town hall during World War I through to the 1950s. Of particular interest is a record book from one of the spa resorts with the names of all visitors, most of whom were Jews from across the entire region of Greater Romania. There are also files regarding the awarding of Romanian citizenship to inhabitants. For details on these items, please see the JBAT entry for this collection, subfield "contains" and click on any title.