The school was founded as the Griechisch-orthodox kaiserlich-königliches Gymnasium by order of the Ministry of Education in Vienna in 1860. The language of instruction was German until 1882, at which point a Romanian section was established in parallel to the German-language sections. In 1919, the school was renamed Liceul de băeți “Ștefan cel Mare” ("Ștefan cel Mare Boys Lycee"). Throughout its history, the school maintained a reputation as one of the best in Bukovina and attracted students from the entire Bukovina region and beyond. The collection contains matriculation registers, administrative correspondence, administrative and faculty meeting minutes, and various papers pertaining to budget and finances. Matriculation registers from the period of the Habsburg regime are arranged by class, and then alphabetically by student's surname within each class. As can be seen from the entries for the students, the student population was quite mixed and included Germans, Jews, Romanians, Ruthenians, Armenians, and many of the other nationalities present in the Bukovina region at the time. For some classes there are multiple sections, including in some cases special “German” or “Romanian” sections. Each page contains an entry for a single student, and lists the students coursework and grades, as well as comments on the student's conduct and other observations. The entry also lists the student's religion, residence, nationality, and native language, as well as the name, residence, and profession of the student's father (sometimes of the mother as well), and if applicable the name of any guardians or of the address where the student resides and boards while attending the school. At the start of each class's entries are general statistics on the class's performance for that year, as well as a list of instructors, including instructors for religion sections (Roman Catholic, Orthodox, and Jewish).