This collection contains comprehensive material from the main Catholic school in Târgu Mureș. In general, it appears that Jewish students were more likely to attend the Protestant schools, but one finds Jewish pupils in these records occasionally. The collection begins with papers from the mid-late 18th century, primarily dealing with administrative matters, ie contracts, rental agreements, decrees, lists of students. Beginning in the 19th century, there are fairly consistent immatriculation registers as well as folders containing correspondence on school affairs. Inventories of furnishings and libraries begin to appear consistently. By the 1870s, there are approximately 10 folders per year, containing meeting minutes of the school staff, statistical information, correspondence, immatriculation records, staff instructions, budget documents, and other miscellaneous papers. At the end of the inventory there are several items not related to this school, they contain diploma certificates from a school in Miercurea Ciuc, Târgu Secuiesc, and from the Școala Normală in Târgu Mureș (School of Education). These items date from 1929-1940.
Roman Catholic Gymnasium of Târgu Mureș
12 linear meters (776 folders or registers)
Hungarian, Romanian, German
This collection was maintained by the Roman Catholic school. It was collected by the National Archives under communism and processed in the 1980s.
Gimnaziul romano-catolic Târgu Mureș; fond nr. 219; inventar nr. 51
Gimnaziul romano-catolic Târgu Mureș; fond nr. 219; inventar nr. 51; Arhivele Naționale ale României, Direcția Județeana Mureș
Arhivele Naționale ale României, Direcţia Judeţeană Mureș, Târgu-Mureş, Str. Crizantemelor, Nr. 8, cod 540073, jud. Mureş