The books that form the Mediaș library were found in the Mediaș synagogue and Jewish community offices. The majority of the German and Hungarian-language volumes were catalogued by local high school students in the course of a project in 2016-2017. The volumes appear to be a mixture of private and communally-owned books. Though they are mostly religious books including siddurim and Jewish religious texts, some secular volumes were also found. In cases where owner information was inscribed or stamped in the book, a note was made in the catalogue record and, in general, a photo of the personal inscription was made. Please click on the individual titles below for more information.
Please note that this collection is being constantly updated. Please check back regularly for new additions.
Please note JBAT archivists did not survey this material directly. The folder description provided by the CNSAS inventory reads: The Jewish problem. Statistics regarding the Jewish community of Fălticeni; personal identity documents; documents of organizations, associations, schools, synagogues belonging to the Jews of the town.
The collection includes the paperwork and material collected by the Suceava county Securitate (Romanian Communist Secret Police) offices under communism. The material includes select folders from the pre-communist period; these folders were presumably in the possession of the police and seized by the Securitate at some point in time. At the time of the JBAT survey (2015), the inventory for this collection was accesible only at the physical location of the CNSAS and only in digital form on the computers of the CNSAS reading room. The inventory provided no indication as to the linear extent of the collection and gave no additional details as to its history, content, or the number of pages in individual folders. The collection is large, over 1,000 files, and as such there are many hundreds of folders which are obliquely titled and may contain reference to Jewish residents, for example folders titled as dealing with religious issues or the nationality of residents or folders regarding the monitoring of individuals with relatives in the United States, of tourists in the region or of Romanians with ties to foreigners. It was beyond the scope of the present survey to inspect the contents of all such folders. There are, however, a number of folders with titles specifically referencing the Jewish content. Several of these contain material related to specific Jewish communities; others regard surveillance carried out in Jewish communities or on persons hoping to emigrate. For details on these folders and others with material clearly related to the Jewish population, please click on the link(s) below.
This folder contains forms about the new street names in Reghin. The charts are of interest as they contain many Jewish landmarks in the town, such as the Jewish sanatorium, the 2 Jewish "churches" (or second Jewish church, difficult to know what was intended), the Jewish quarter (called Plangerilor, or quarter of tears/wailing) and the newly named Street of Jewish Martyrs (which was quickly changed to something else). There are also lists of inhabitants who emigrated illegally in 1947, the majority going to Hungary or Palestine. Included on the lists are the names, occupation, date of departure, and destination.
The folder contains lists of properties owned by the city and churches, including property of the Jewish community. It is unclear why the synagogue and cemeteries are not included on these property lists. There is also correspondence regarding the desire of the Orthodox church and town hall to construct a new cemetery and the response from the neighbors, who opposed this measure (including some Jewish neighbors). There is likewise a report from a health official advising against the new construction of a Jewish cemetery for the same reasons (as given by the neighbors who opposed the Orthodox cemetery).
Please note that this collection comprises three inventories: "Primaria Orasului Reghin" (1829-1950) with 704 items; Sfatul Popular al Orasului Reghin (1951-1955) with 111 items; and Consiliul Popular al Orasului Reghin (1950-1968) with 634 items. These titles reflect the changes of governmental organisation within the country. The present survey focused primarily on the contents of the first inventory. The material within the second two inventories deals largely with the restructuring under communism and rarely do the contents move beyond bureaucratic and administrative announcements and records. The first inventory however contains numerous files with information relevant to Jewish history. The collection contains material customary for a municipal authority including administrative and financial files, documents regarding permits and professions, and regulating schools, religious institutes, and so forth. Specific to the Jewish population, there are files with material on synagogues, Jewish organizations, Jewish professionals and apprentices, and numerous files regarding Jewish citizenship or property of Jews who were deported or emigrated. For details on these files and others with material related specifically to the Jewish population of Reghin, please see below and click on any title.
The Collection of Cadastral Records includes seven different inventories. The collection is vast and access to documents is frequently denied on the grounds that the contents contain property information. Nevertheless, there are folders pertaining to a number of villages and towns with significant Jewish populations and, in certain cases, data can be gathered from the documents as to the location of the synagogue or other Jewish spaces. In general the documents include such items as lists of house-owners or property owners, as well as agricultural surveys of the land. There are folders for the following villages and towns which had demonstrable Jewish populations: Acățari, Adămuș, Nazna, Agrișteu, Cetatea de Baltă, Mediaș, Dumbrăveni, Ernei, Miercurea Nirajului, Ormeniș, Reghin, Sighișoara, Sâncraiul de Mureș, Sovata, Teaca, Târgu Mureș, Toplița, Ungheni, Valea (Iobageni), Luduș. Please note that the collection contains folders for many villages and towns outside of the current Mureș county borders, in particular there are countless folders for Saxon villages to the south, today in the county of Sibiu or even Brașov. Please note that inventory 691 was missing in 2015.
The Medias Jewish Community Collection contains material spanning the life of the community, with documents dating from the late 19th century until the end of the communist era as well as general administrative paperwork into the 1990s (when the community, for all intents and purposes, no longer existed). The bulk of the material is from the mid-20th century (1940s-1970s) and of administrative or financial nature. Several extensive items of particular historic significance have been digitized and are available below in Series III: the 500-page book of meeting minutes covering board member and community meetings from 1930-1947 (Box OS21); hundreds of registration forms created by the Jewish Council (Centrala Evreilor) during the war which recorded an individual's family background up to the grandparents (names, birthplaces and date) (Box OS18 and OS19); the burial registry with details on tombstone location, date (and sometimes cause) of death and accompanying index of names (OS13); and the cemetery map (last item in Series III). The original statutes of the community, in Hungarian from 1894, as well as later German and Romanian versions, are also digitized and can be found in Series V (SD2/folder 2). The material in this collection may be of interest to those researching Jewish life, identity, and culture in southern Transylvania before and during World War II and Jewish life under the Romanian communist government. For additional details on the contents of each series, please see the comprehensive container list below. The collection is arranged by series and chronologically within each series.
Contrary to its description in the inventory of the Suceava archives, this file contains documents spanning the late 1930s to the early 1940s (not just 1941). Most of the correspondence is from federal authorities requesting information regarding possession of property in the town and county, especially church property. Few of the responses presumably dispatched by the Câmpulung authorities are included, though it is possible these may be found in archival repositories in Bucharest. Information requested included architectural plans and other cadastral data and is potentially of significant interest. There is one letter from the Chevra Gach synagogue association. The last pages of the file date from 1938 and contain various inspection reports made by the Câmpulung sanitation office in which they order individuals to repair, tear down, clean, or otherwise alter existing structures on private property. All of the individuals receiving such citations are Jewish residents.