The Jewish Communities of Romania Collection (sometimes also described by the Romanian National Archives as the Documents Collection of the Jewish Communities of Romania) contains documents created and received by Jewish communities and organizations functioning in Romania from the 19th century to the first half of the 20th century.
The documents until World War II are composed of a variety of items reflecting community life, including statutes, correspondence, reports, and membership lists. Documents from the World War II period generally address the plight of Romanian Jews during this period. This material includes reports on persecutions and expropriations, correspondence and other documents related to deportees, and emigration paperwork. The post-World War II material generally deals with the repatriation of Jewish deportees to the Romanian-organized camps in Transnistria, the welfare of survivors, emigration, and the activities of the Federation of Jewish Communities in Romania and of the Jewish Democratic Committee (communist Jewish organization). For the complete inventory list of the collection, please see this link (in Romanian only): http://www.arhivelenationale.ro/images/custom/image/Pdf-uri/DANIC_Fonduri%20si%20colectii/Feudale/Colectia%20comunitati%20evreiesti%201818-1959.pdf
JBAT archivists surveyed folders containing material related specifically to Bukovina and Transylvania. For details on the contents of these folders, please see the list below and click on any link.
This folder contains correspondence, declarations, and charts related to expropriated property in Reghin in 1947. The expropriations mentioned here appear to have mainly been of German (Saxon) property.
This folder contains a chart of "war criminals" from the county of Mures. Included in the chart are the name, occupation, age (generally blank) and residence. The chart was created by the prefecture of Mures and sent to the Reghin town hall, apparently in order to assertain what property and goods existed which had been the possession of the men condemned for war crimes.
This folder contains documents related to the agrarian reform of the interwar period. It includes a legal case to expropriate Mendel Schwarz of forest property and also has correspondence regarding workers associations for youth in the region.
This folder contains various requests and related correspondence regarding certificates of nationality for individuals from Reghin. The requests or certificates themselves contain information regarding the individual's birth place, occupation, and family circumstances.
This is an apprenticeship register. Each person has a page on which is listed his personal information (birth information, religion, physical characteristics and so forth) and then the masters with whom he has apprenticed. There are several registers of this sort in the Reghin collection.
This folder contains forms about the new street names in Reghin. The charts are of interest as they contain many Jewish landmarks in the town, such as the Jewish sanatorium, the 2 Jewish "churches" (or second Jewish church, difficult to know what was intended), the Jewish quarter (called Plangerilor, or quarter of tears/wailing) and the newly named Street of Jewish Martyrs (which was quickly changed to something else). There are also lists of inhabitants who emigrated illegally in 1947, the majority going to Hungary or Palestine. Included on the lists are the names, occupation, date of departure, and destination.