This collection is for one of the three public elementary schools in Rădăuți. Though it is catalogued as a boys school, in the first years at least it was attended by both boys and girls. This school was primarily attended by Romanian children, but reflective of the diversity of the town, there were also German, Jewish, and Ukrainian pupils. For example in 1903 one first grade class consisted of 46 pupils of whom 23 were Romanian-Orthodox, 15 were Roman-Catholic, 3 were Greek-Catholic (Eastern Catholic), 2 were Protestant, and 3 were Jewish. Of these 25 claimed Romanian as their mother tongue, 20 German, and 1 Ruthenian (Ukrainian). In later years it appears that the school became more exclusively Romanian. The collection is fairly comprehensive with few gaps in the years or class register books.
This Romanian elementary school was founded in 1906. Originally it was attended primarily by Romanian children, but beginning in the 1920s, the German schools were closed and many Jewish children began attending this school as well. The class registers are quite comprehensive, it appears there are no gaps in years or classes. A cursory look at class registers from second grade classes in 1923 show approximately half the pupils being Jewish. Of particular interest is the register for grade II-B of 1922 which was organized as an exclusively Jewish class and is labeled as such (call number as cited plus Dosar 4/1922).
The collection contains 30 different registers for the Suceava trade school for boys including matriculation records, grade books, teachers record books, and receipts for diplomas received. Though the majority of the students at this school were Romanian, there were also many Jewish students and students of other Bukovina ethnic groups.
This entry is a collection of several single documents which are catalogued by the Suceava Archives separately. The documents refer in some way to agreements between the local authorities and tîrgoveții – literally market people – granting the latter land for houses, cemeteries, house of prayer, or space for their market. It seems likely that tîrgoveții was often a euphemism for Jews, especially in the early-mid 1700s. Other ethnic groups which also typically worked in the trade sector are generally specified, Armenian, etc. As time passes it becomes more common to find references to Jews specifically. Of particular interest are the last two documents discussing a legal case between Christian merchants who wanted to evict the Jew, Aron (elder of the community) from his house and allow a Christian shopkeeper to move in. The last document is the response of Aron to these proceedings. These documents have been transcribed from the original Cyrillic and are available in modern Romanian (copies).
This poster from the Suceava Jewish community invites the Jewish population to attend a service on 9 May in honor of the day of independence. Undated but presumably late interwar or early post-World War II.
This poster calls all Jews in Suceava to attend a grand assembly meeting organized by the Suceava cell of the Zionist organization Keren Kayemeth Leisrael on 4 July 1948 during which delegates Dr. Th. Löwenstein and Av. S. Mintz from the central Zionist organization will speak about the current problems in the State of Israel.
This item is a poster from the Jewish Community of Suceava announcing that there will be free medical exams and x-rays for children 3-10 years old, as well as free medicine in the case of illness. This may have been in response to high rates of tuberculosis amongst survivors of the camps in Transnistria.
This item is a poster publicizing 10 laws regarding contact with Jews and suspect individuals interned in camps. Amongst other rules, it is forbidden for them to have contact with the outer world in any form and they are forbidden to have any items except for what is strictly necessary which includes only food and clothing. Newspapers, books, and the like are forbidden and it is forbidden to offer aid in any form to those interned.
This item is a poster publicizing an ordinance regarding Galician Jews who cross the border. The ordinance commands that such Jews be executed on the spot, that any persons who do not obey this ordinance shall also be executed, that any persons who allow or have knowledge of such border crossings shall also be executed, and that the police and soldiers are authorized to fulfill this ordinance.
This item is a poster publicizing ordinance nr. 1 which contains 29 new laws regarding freedom of movement, times of store and office closings, rules affecting relations to the military and other war-related laws. Included in article 3 is a rule forbidding Jews from towns or villages to be outside from 18:00 – 7:00.
This item is a 1938 calendar printed by agricultural equipment company Samuel Rosenberg. The calendar is similar to the one from 1934, but now does not include Jewish holidays, only Orthodox and Catholic (see "Calendar by Lazar Madfes", also in the Documents Collection).
This item is a decision issued by the royal ruler (Rezident Regal) for the district of Suceava forbidding Jews to speak any language other than Romanian in public work spaces and outlining the consequences (loss of citizenship).
This item is an announcement from the chief of police ordering individuals originally from Bessarabia and Northern Bukovina to appear at the office of police in order to confirm their Romanian citizenship and loyalty to Romania. This item is catalogued by the Suceava Archives as 1920 but the contents make clear it is a war-time document.
The documents collection consists of various documents on a wide variety of topics that were donated to or collected by the National Archives Branch of Suceava. For information on individual items within this collection of potential interest to those researching regional Jewish history, please see the below.
The manuscript consists of self-selected excerpts from the Jahrbuch des Bukowiner Landes-Museums and focuses primarily on medieval and early modern history of the city of Suceava, emphasizing Romanian personalities. The last pages contains transcriptions of documents from the mid-1700s regulating the location of Jewish houses and buildings and their activities. Translated from the German by Ilia Țabrea. Originally published in ”Jahrbuch des Bukowiner Landes-Museums”.
The manuscript discusses the medical history of Suceava, focusing on the period when Bukovina was a part of the Princedom of Moldova. There is no information regarding the Austrian Empire period. There are a few references to Sephardic Jewish doctors working in or passing through the region in the 15thand 16thcenturies.
The manuscripts collection consists of various manuscripts on a variety of topics that were donated to the National Archives Branch of Suceava. For information on individual items within this collection of potential interest to those researching regional Jewish history, please see below.